The European Technology and Innovation Platform for Photovoltaics publishes Vision and Claims for 100% renewable electricity supply before start of COP 24 in Katowice
Photovoltaic Solar Energy: Big and Beyond –
Sustainable energy to reach the 1.5 degrees climate target
The European Technology and Innovation Platform for Photovoltaics (ETIP PV) envisions a world with 100% renewable electricity supply where electricity is accessible to all and where electricity makes major inroads into satisfying the final energy demand for living including communications, zero-emission transport and mobility, efficient heating and cooling, and even sustainable fuels, chemicals and materials. By applying Solar PV, buildings will increasingly become places of energy production and not only of energy consumption. ETIP PV will distribute its vision paper right to the start of the UN climate summit “Cop 24” in Katowice, Poland. (http://www.cop24.katowice.eu/)
Marko Topič, ETIP PV Chairman: “Our vision is a sustainable future with a clean European and global energy system! Thanks to the abundant availability of sunlight, the technology’s modularity, and continuous cost reductions, Solar PV can become the largest source of energy worldwide and is able to meet the challenge of drastic decarbonisation and there is big potential for further improvements in all related technologies with accelerated research, development and innovation (RD&I).”
Marko Topic continues with the main topics of the vision paper:
• Photovoltaic solar electricity (Solar PV) has recently become the lowest cost source of electricity in most parts of the world
• Solar PV can be used in all geographic regions and its generating capacity can be installed rapidly and scaled up modularly
• Solar PV can drastically reduce GHG emissions from the power sector and in other sectors through electrification
• Solar PV supports a socially acceptable energy transition by offering employment, distributed generation and integrated applications as well as new business opportunities
• Solar PV, in combination with wind energy, storage and conversion (“power2X”) is the cornerstone of the future sustainable energy system
• Solar PV needs to be deployed rapidly, massively, and globally including within Europe to limit global temperature rises to 1.5 degrees
• More PV component manufacturing and PV generating capacity are needed in Europe to seize economic opportunities and to reduce dependence on energy imports and on PV technology imports
Solar PV is transforming Europe’s and the world’s energy system and energy industry and ETIP PV is committed to actively support this to the benefit of climate and economy, as a contribution to the future of mankind.
ETIP-PV’s position is that EU-based manufacturing industry must regroup and succeed in the extremely competitive global Solar PV sector, providing high-quality, technologically advanced products at scale. For this to happen, the EU must ensure a large and growing market for Solar PV installations that values high-quality, highly sustainable products.